Sunday, March 2, 2008

Oh My Feet...

I just got home after a weekend of pouring for Holdredge Winery. They make my favorite wine - the Holdredge Wren Hop Pinot Noir. It was awesome to be out there in the wine-lover's world again. Weekends like this remind me of why I got into this business to begin with.

Yesterday I showed up at the big barn in Healdsburg, home of Holdredge. They used to share this barn on Wine Road weekends with Sapphire Hill, but the space is all theirs now. I discovered them years ago, while doing Winter Wineland (another Wine Road event) with friends. This diamond in the rough sparkled, shimmering so brilliantly that I tout them to everyone I know as making my favorite wine ever. Ever, yes, ever. I know that's a bold statement, but I am still in love with the flavors and aromas of that Wren Hop Pinot.

This weekend, I told everyone I poured it for that it was my favorite, and of course, I was asked why. For some reason this is a difficult question to answer...but I'll try. Each sip of the Wren Hop Pinot Noir is like a smooth, round ball smothered in black cherries and a dusting of cinnamon rolling around in your mouth, tantalizing your tongue. I think that about covers it.

They have many other wines, including 3 other Pinots, 2 Zins, 2 Syrahs (Lovers Lane is delectable), and 2 late harvest wines. I highly, highly recommend Holdredge! Next weekend, March 8-9, is weekend 2 of Barrel Weekend. Swing by on Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hit up wine road yesterday and noticed that every zin in the barrels tasted extremely sweet this year. it wasn't very pleasant, actually, as zins of the past have been my favorite type of wine for their rich and intense taste. i think i'll be avoiding bottles from 2006/2007 for a while...