Thursday, March 6, 2008

Oooo a Test.

Far too many people are wine snobs. Some people, especially those in the Millennial generation, think that because a bottle of wine is $30+, it's automatically good, and better than anything under $15. I do concede that many, many bottles over $30 are good, but I don't think it's a hard and fast rule. Unlike many generations before, Millennials and Gen Xers tend to buy more expensive bottles, and either hold on to them for "special occasions" or drink them as everyday wines. Everyday wines at $30 a bottle? That's $7.50 a glass. For that price, someone had better be serving me that glass of wine and offering me bread service.

There are many good bottles of wine that are under $30. I will make that statement now. As a test, I will host some dinner parties, decanting some under $30 wines, and see how my guests react. As often as I can until the end of the year, I'll test a $20 bottle, a $15 bottle, a $10 bottle, and then something under $10. Fascinating.

Of course, if you're reading this, you're probably invited to dinner because I probably know you pretty well. This test is on you. Have fun.

No comments: