Sunday, March 2, 2008

One more thought....

I forgot to write about my adventure across the street today, from Holdredge to Davis Family. If you've been down Front Street in Healdsburg, you know that on the left there are five wineries (Holdredge, Camellia, Christie, Sapphire Hill, and Huntington) and across the street there is the one with the metal sculpture of the lady. The very large sculpture. Yes, that one - Davis Family Vineyards.

I wandered over there this afternoon for a taste of their barrel wines, as well as a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc - these usually are more lavish and lingering than California Sauvignon Blancs, which have a tendency to be crisp and fruity with very little to play with after. For a red-only drinker (this is sloooooowwwwllyyy changing), I did like the Sauvignon Blanc at Davis, however I was much more taken with the dry Riesling out of the barrel. Not only did the sign on the barrel entice me (it said if you were a wine geek, to ask what was in the barrel....I did. I'm a geek on so many levels), but the wine was GREAT, a white I would actually drink! Mark the day! It was soft on the nose with no overt flowers or sickly sweet aromas, and the palate welcomed acidic fun and refreshing flavors. Home run, baby. Home run.

1 comment:

Jersey J said...

Will you take me wine tasting?